Thursday, September 27, 2012

To Be a Little Girl

Being a little girl can mean pretty much anything these days.  Girls are allowed to be whatever they want, unencumbered by the societal conventions of the past.  I love that this is the world my girls get to grow up in, and I'm having a ball watching Big Sister exercising her right to Be a Little Girl.

In our house, being a girl means dancing, and creativity, and friendship.  Here's a little taste...

The First Day of Dance Class
I'm always a little nervous when we start something new.  Excited, of course, but nervous too.  I'm not even sure why.  I mean, the stakes are pretty low.  Ava doesn't dig something, we shelve it and move on.  Try the next cool thing we stumble across.  And yet, there it is. 

Ava, looking every bit the ballerina in her new dance clothes, seemed to share none of my apprehension.  She marched in, tap shoes shining, ready to get her arabesque on. 

And then she wasn't.  The teacher came over and asked her to join the class and Big Sister froze.  She declared that she wasn't going to do it.  I thought we were sunk.  And then, out came the tiaras.


 
 
Someone please remind me of this next time we start something new.  No matter how nervous I may be, my girl's got it handled. 
 
Tomorrow: Creativity
 

No comments:

Post a Comment