Sunday, March 23, 2014

Florida: Part I

Florida is a nostalgic place for me.  I spent many warm, happy summers there, swimming, visiting the beach, riding horses, and taking more trips down the chutes of the local water slides than I can begin to count.  So it's pretty special for me to get the opportunity to share that trip with my family now that I'm all grown up. 

Grandpa George had done his homework.  It's been a while since he's had any little ones around, so he talked to a neighbor in the know and found some cool, kid-friendly options for the girls.  First up, Playmobil Funpark.  A giant room with table after table of tiny houses, castles, zoos, and even a hotel full of miniature sunburned tourists.  They loved it.




Next, the playground.  Now, if you've never been to Florida, allow me to let you in on a little secret: it's really stinkin' hot.  Add in 1000% humidity, and being outdoors can be a bit intimidating if you're not used to it.  So I was pretty thrilled to see the giant canopy over the play structures, protecting my pale little winter-babies from the sun. 



 
That's not to say we avoided the sun altogether.  We took the girls outside and let them run around the same backyard I played in as a kid.  The background was pretty different back then.
 



We spent an evening enjoying fresh air and pizza at a local outdoor mall.  We made wishes in a fountain, rode a carousel, and tooled around in a tiny train driven by a guy that was pretty skilled in avoiding running over the oblivious masses.  Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of that part. 



And of course, there was the beach.  Still - to me, anyway - the most peaceful place in the world.




I have much more to show them, but watching them walk in just some of my old footsteps was wonderful.  Thank you to Grandma Raili and Grandpa George for working so hard to make our trip so special.  See you soon.

1 comment:

  1. Love the pics. And the reenactment of your cover photo here on the beach!

    ReplyDelete