Sunday, April 29, 2012

Just to see the splash.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that technology - for the most part - is a good thing.  But I have to admit that when I see a table full of people out to dinner, all of them absorbed in some gadget or another, it really gets under my skin.  Have people really reached a point where they have to be constantly entertained at the expense of human interaction?

This is one of the reasons I love being a mom.  Having Ava gives me so many reasons to be in the moment.  She teaches me to be patient, and to remember what it means to take joy in the little things.  If I were to miss the look of pure delight on her face when she spots a butterfly at the Botanic Gardens because I'm checking email, what a loss that would be for both of us.

So if you ever find yourself wishing that life would slow down a little bit, arrange to spend some time with a child in your life. Start by taking them to the nearest body of water, give them a handful of pebbles, and watch as they throw them in for no other reason than to see the splash.  And leave the phone in the car.



Oh, and just once, jump into a waterfall with all your clothes on.


You won't regret it.

Coming soon:  Fun with Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment