Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ava-nt Garde

Avant-garde: [1] The adjective form is used in English, to refer to people or works that are experimental or innovative, particularly with respect to art, culture, and politics.
-Wikipedia

Now people, I ask you, what could possibly be more innovative than this...

I'll pause for a moment to allow you to marvel at the brilliance.

Are you done marveling? Great. Now I'm going to let you in on a little secret: art projects with toddlers are intimidating. When Lisa and I strapped Ollie and Ava into their chairs and handed them brushes, we had no idea what to expect. Baths at the very least; repainting the walls if things got really out of hand. (Oh, and before you decide that I've clearly lost my mind, we didn't actually give the kids paint. It's corn syrup and food coloring.) But, since fear never got anyone anwhere, we threw tarps over everything within a 3 foot radius of the kids, dressed them in old t-shirts, and forged bravely ahead. And - who would have guessed - it was a complete success.

Check out that razor-like focus. Dare I say we have a future Frida Kahlo in our midst? (Hopefully without that weird eyebrow thing. Don't know what I'm talking about? Look it up. Scary.)

Let the bidding wars begin!

1 comment:

  1. I don't have to google her. Scary. Cute pictures though! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete